15 Expats Talk about Health Insurance and Healthcare in El Salvador
Last updated on Feb 21, 2023
Summary: The quality of medical care in El Salvador is generally lower than that of the United States. Emergency services are available, but may be limited in some areas. To call for an ambulance, you can dial 911 or contact the local fire department.
How are healthcare services El Salvador?
When we asked expats and global nomads about the quality of medical care in El Salvador, they replied:
"Healthcare services in El Salvador are provided by both public and private institutions. The public healthcare system is managed by the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and is funded by the government. The quality of public healthcare in El Salvador is generally considered to be below average, with limited access to specialized care and a lack of resources. Foreign residents do have access to the public healthcare system, but they are not eligible for the same benefits as Salvadoran citizens. Expats in El Salvador typically use private healthcare services, as they are more reliable and offer better quality care. However, some expats may use the public healthcare system if they are unable to afford private care," said one expat living in El Salvador.
"Medical services are all free right here in Candelaria de la Frontera. If you want air conditioning in a big city, you have Santa Ana with many health facilities that have reasonably priced medical care," mentioned one expat in Candelaria de la Frontera.
What are medical services in El Salvador like?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to El Salvador?
- Where should I setup a bank account in El Salvador?
- Will I be able to find a job in El Salvador?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in El Salvador appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in El Salvador?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in El Salvador accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in El Salvador like?
- How are healthcare services El Salvador?
- What are medical services in El Salvador like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in El Salvador?
- What are emergency services like in El Salvador?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in El Salvador?
- How are local medical facilities in El Salvador?
- As a foreigner living in El Salvador, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?