Cost of Living in Guatemala
Last updated on May 04, 2023
Summary: The cost of living in Guatemala is generally considered to be quite affordable. A nice one bedroom apartment in Guatemala can cost anywhere from $400 to $800 per month in US Dollars, while a nice two bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $600 to $1,200 per month. The cost of dinner at a moderately priced restaurant in Guatemala is usually around $10 to $15 per person in US Dollars.
Is the cost of living in Guatemala high?
We asked people how much they someone comfortably live on in Guatemala, they wrote:
"The cost of living in Guatemala is generally quite affordable. Basic necessities such as food, transportation, and housing are relatively inexpensive compared to other countries in the region. Eating out at restaurants is also quite affordable, with meals costing around $5-10 USD. Utilities such as electricity and water are also relatively inexpensive. Overall, Guatemala is a great place to live if you are looking for an affordable lifestyle," explained one expat living in Guatemala.
Will I save money living in Guatemala?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Guatemala?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Guatemala?
- Will I be able to find a job in Guatemala?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Guatemala appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Guatemala?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Guatemala accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Guatemala like?
- How are healthcare services in Guatemala?
- What are medical services in Guatemala like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Guatemala?
- What are emergency services like in Guatemala?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Guatemala?
- How are local medical facilities in Guatemala?
- As a foreigner living in Guatemala, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?