Last updated on Jul 12, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees discuss what it is like to live in Cheltenham, UK: Cost of living, Finding a home, Meeting People and more.
What do I need to know about living in Cheltenham?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Cheltenham, they said:
"Before retiring in Cheltenham, expats should know that the town is known for its regency architecture and is considered one of the most complete regency towns in the UK. Expats should be aware that the cost of living in Chelham is higher than the national average, particularly when it comes to housing. It's important to know that Cheltenham is a cultural hub, hosting several festivals throughout the year, including the Cheltenham Literature Festival, Cheltenham Jazz Festival, and the Cheltenham Science Festival. Expats should understand that the healthcare system in the UK is publicly funded, and they will have access to the National Health Service (NHS), although private healthcare is also available. They should also be aware that Cheltenham is well-connected to other parts of the UK, with good rail and road links, making it easy to explore the rest of the country. Expats should know that the weather in Cheltenham is relatively mild, with warm summers and cool winters, but it can be quite rainy throughout the year. They should also be aware that Cheltenham is a safe town with a low crime rate, but like anywhere, it's important to take common-sense precautions. Before retiring in Cheltenham, expats should also understand the UK's tax system, as they may be liable to pay tax on their worldwide income, depending on their residency status. Finally, expats should know that Cheltenham has a range of leisure facilities, including parks, theatres, and sports centres, as well as a wide variety of shops and restaurants," remarked one expat living in Cheltenham, England.
What do I need to know before moving to Cheltenham?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Cheltenham?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Cheltenham?
- What is the average cost of housing in Cheltenham?
- How do I meet people in Cheltenham?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Cheltenham?
- What should I pack when moving to Cheltenham?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Cheltenham?
- Will I be able to find a job in Cheltenham?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Cheltenham?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Cheltenham?
- What is the social scene like in Cheltenham?
- What advice to expats in Cheltenham have about housing?
- What are medical services in Cheltenham like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Cheltenham?
- Is the cost of living in Cheltenham high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Cheltenham?
- Why do people move to Cheltenham?