Last updated on Jul 10, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees discuss what it is like to live in Edinburgh, Scotland: Cost of living, Finding a home, Meeting People and more.
What do I need to know about living in Edinburgh?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Edinburgh, they said:
"I always describe Edinburgh as: As Boston is to New York, so is Edinburgh to London. In other words, Edinburgh is London's smaller, more genteel cousin. Most Americans would call it quaint. It's a compact city and you can walk almost anywhere. For Americans, the UK can be quite expensive. This can be exaggerated in Scotland, as they tend to pay about 10 - 15% less in salaries than in London," said one expat in Edinburgh.
What do I need to know before moving to Edinburgh?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Edinburgh?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Edinburgh?
- What is the average cost of housing in Edinburgh?
- How do I meet people in Edinburgh?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Edinburgh?
- What should I pack when moving to Edinburgh?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Edinburgh?
- Will I be able to find a job in Edinburgh?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Edinburgh?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Edinburgh?
- What is the social scene like in Edinburgh?
- What advice to expats in Edinburgh have about housing?
- What are medical services in Edinburgh like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Edinburgh?
- Is the cost of living in Edinburgh high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Edinburgh?
- Why do people move to Edinburgh?