Last updated on Apr 21, 2023
Summary: Dresden, Germany is a beautiful city with a rich cultural history. Expats love the city's vibrant atmosphere, its many parks and gardens, its excellent public transportation system, and its affordability. The weather in Dresden is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s in the winter to the mid-70s in the summer (Fahrenheit). The average cost of living for an expat is relatively low, with a one bedroom apartment costing around $600-800 USD per month and a two bedroom apartment costing around $800-1000 USD per month. The population of Dresden is 548,739.
What do I need to know about living in Dresden?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Dresden, they said:
"Before retiring in Dresden, expats should be aware of the cost of living, which is generally lower than in other German cities. Expats should also research the local healthcare system and the availability of medical services in the area. Additionally, expats should familiarize themselves with the local language, as English is not widely spoken in Dresden. It is also important to research the local culture and customs, as well as the climate and weather in Dresden. Finally, expats should consider the availability of transportation options, such as public transportation, taxis, and car rental services," explained one expat living in Dresden, Germany.
What do I need to know before moving to Dresden?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Dresden?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Dresden?
- What is the average cost of housing in Dresden?
- How do I meet people in Dresden?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Dresden?
- What should I pack when moving to Dresden?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Dresden?
- Will I be able to find a job in Dresden?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Dresden?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Dresden?
- What is the social scene like in Dresden?
- What advice to expats in Dresden have about housing?
- What are medical services in Dresden like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Dresden?
- Is the cost of living in Dresden high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Dresden?
- Why do people move to Dresden?