Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Aarhus, Denmark is approximately 330,000 people. People describe Aarhus as a vibrant, modern city with a rich cultural heritage. Expats love the city's relaxed atmosphere, its excellent public transportation system, and its proximity to the sea. The weather in Aarhus is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to the mid-60s Fahrenheit (1-18 Celsius) in the summer and the mid-20s to the mid-40s Fahrenheit (-5 to 7 Celsius) in the winter. The average cost of living in Aarhus for an expat is estimated to be around $2,000 to $2,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is estimated to be around $1,000 to $1,500 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is estimated to be around $1,500 to $2,000 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Aarhus?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Aarhus, they said:
"Before retiring in Aarhus, expats should be aware that the cost of living is relatively high compared to other parts of the country. Expats should also be aware that the weather in Aarhus can be quite cold and wet during the winter months. Additionally, expats should research the healthcare system in Denmark and make sure they have the necessary insurance coverage. Finally, expats should familiarize themselves with the local culture and customs to ensure a smooth transition into their new home," remarked one expat who made the move to Aarhus.
What do I need to know before moving to Aarhus?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Aarhus?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Aarhus?
- Will I be able to find a job in Aarhus?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Aarhus appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Aarhus?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Aarhus accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Aarhus like?
- How are healthcare services in Aarhus?
- What are medical services in Aarhus like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Aarhus?
- What are emergency services like in Aarhus?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Aarhus?
- How are local medical facilities in Aarhus?
- As a foreigner living in Aarhus, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?