La Romana, the Dominican Republic
Last updated on Jun 27, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in La Romana, Dominican Rep. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know about living in La Romana?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to La Romana, they said:
"Before retiring in La Romana, Dominican Republic, expats should know that the official language is Spanish, so learning the language or at least basic phrases can be beneficial. The cost of living is generally lower than in many Western countries, but it's important to budget for unexpected expenses. Healthcare facilities are available but may not be up to the standards expats are used to, so it's advisable to have a comprehensive health insurance plan. The Dominican Republic has a tropical climate, with hot, humid weather throughout the year, which may take some adjustment. The country is known for its friendly and welcoming locals, but there can be cultural differences that may require some adaptation. Safety can be a concern in certain areas, so it's important to research and choose your neighborhood carefully. It's also crucial to understand the local laws and regulations, especially those related to property ownership and taxes. While the Dominican Republic has a lot to offer in terms of natural beauty and recreational activities, it's advisable to visit La Romana several times before deciding to retire there. This will give you a chance to experience the lifestyle, meet locals, and find out if it's the right fit for you. Lastly, it's important to stay connected with your home country. This can be done through regular communication with family and friends, maintaining a bank account in your home country, and staying informed about current events," said one expat who made the move to La Romana.
What do I need to know before moving to La Romana?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to La Romana?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in La Romana?
- What is the average cost of housing in La Romana?
- How do I meet people in La Romana?
- What do I need to know before retiring in La Romana?
- What should I pack when moving to La Romana?
- Where should I setup a bank account in La Romana?
- Will I be able to find a job in La Romana?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about La Romana?
- What type of social life can someone expect in La Romana?
- What is the social scene like in La Romana?
- What advice to expats in La Romana have about housing?
- What are medical services in La Romana like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in La Romana?
- Is the cost of living in La Romana high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in La Romana?
- Why do people move to La Romana?