Last updated on Mar 10, 2023
Summary: Mumbai, India is often described as a vibrant, bustling city with a unique mix of old and new. Expats love the city's diverse culture, its vibrant nightlife, and its delicious street food. The weather in Mumbai is hot and humid, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to the mid-90s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,000 USD per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $500 USD per month, while a two bedroom apartment can cost up to $1,000 USD per month. Mumbai is the most populous city in India, with an estimated population of over 20 million people.
What do I need to know about living in Mumbai?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Mumbai, they said:
"Mumbai is a vibrant and bustling city, and it can be an exciting place to retire. Before retiring in Mumbai, expats should research the cost of living and the availability of healthcare and other services. It is also important to familiarize oneself with the local culture and customs, as well as the language. Additionally, expats should consider the climate and the air quality, as Mumbai can be quite hot and humid, and air pollution can be a problem. Finally, expats should look into the visa requirements and the process for obtaining a residence permit," remarked one expat living in Mumbai, India.
What do I need to know before moving to Mumbai?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Mumbai?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Mumbai?
- Will I be able to find a job in Mumbai?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Mumbai appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Mumbai?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Mumbai accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Mumbai like?
- How are healthcare services Mumbai?
- What are medical services in Mumbai like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Mumbai?
- What are emergency services like in Mumbai?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Mumbai?
- How are local medical facilities in Mumbai?
- As a foreigner living in Mumbai, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?