Last updated on Jul 11, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Venice, Italy. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know about living in Venice?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Venice, they said:
"Before retiring in Venice, expats should know that the cost of living can be quite high, especially in the more touristy areas. They should also be aware that Venice is a city built on water, so flooding can be a regular occurrence, especially during the autumn and winter months. Expats should understand that while English is spoken in many tourist areas, learning Italian can greatly enhance their experience and make daily life easier. They should also be prepared for a slower pace of life, as Italians value a work-life balance and often take long lunch breaks and siestas. Healthcare in Italy is of a high standard, but it's important for expats to secure the appropriate health insurance or to ensure they are eligible for Italy's national health service. Venice is a city rich in culture and history, and expats should be respectful of local customs and traditions. This includes dressing appropriately when visiting religious sites and being mindful of noise levels during the city's quiet hours. Venice's unique layout, with its many canals and bridges, can make getting around a challenge. Expats should familiarize themselves with the city's public transportation system, which includes water buses and taxis. Finally, expats should be aware that Venice can be very crowded with tourists, especially during the summer months. However, living in less touristy neighborhoods or on the nearby islands can provide a more authentic Venetian experience," said one expat who made the move to Venice.
What do I need to know before moving to Venice?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Venice?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Venice?
- What is the average cost of housing in Venice?
- How do I meet people in Venice?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Venice?
- What should I pack when moving to Venice?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Venice?
- Will I be able to find a job in Venice?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Venice?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Venice?
- What is the social scene like in Venice?
- What advice to expats in Venice have about housing?
- What are medical services in Venice like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Venice?
- Is the cost of living in Venice high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Venice?
- Why do people move to Venice?