Last updated on Apr 21, 2023
Summary: People describe Modena, Italy as a vibrant city with a rich cultural heritage. Expats love the city's friendly atmosphere, its excellent food and wine, and its proximity to other cities in the region. The weather in Modena is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to the mid-70s Fahrenheit (1-24 Celsius). The average cost of living for an expat is estimated to be around $1,500 to $2,000 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $800 to $1,000 per month, while a two bedroom apartment can cost up to $1,500 per month. The approximate population of Modena is around 180,000 people.
What do I need to know about living in Modena?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Modena, they said:
"Before retiring in Modena, expats should be aware that the cost of living is relatively high compared to other parts of the country. Additionally, the climate is generally mild, with hot summers and cold winters. Expats should also be aware that the city is quite small, so it may be difficult to find a wide variety of activities and entertainment. Furthermore, the city is quite traditional and conservative, so expats should be prepared to respect local customs and traditions. Finally, expats should be aware that the language barrier may be an issue, as Italian is the primary language spoken in Modena," wrote one member in Modena.
What do I need to know before moving to Modena?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Modena?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Modena?
- Will I be able to find a job in Modena?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Modena appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Modena?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Modena accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Modena like?
- How are healthcare services in Modena?
- What are medical services in Modena like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Modena?
- What are emergency services like in Modena?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Modena?
- How are local medical facilities in Modena?
- As a foreigner living in Modena, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?