Discovery Bay, Jamaica
Last updated on Jun 27, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Discovery Bay, Jamaica. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know about living in Discovery Bay?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Discovery Bay, they said:
"Expats considering retiring in Discovery Bay, should be aware of several factors before making the move. Firstly, it is essential to research and understand the cost of living, which can be higher than in some other countries due to the importation of goods and services. It is also crucial to have a reliable source of income, such as a pension or investments, to support oneself during retirement. Healthcare is another important consideration, as the quality of medical facilities and services may vary. Expats should ensure they have adequate health insurance coverage and may need to travel to larger cities for specialized care. Safety and security should also be taken into account, as crime rates can be high in certain areas. Expats should research the safest neighborhoods and take necessary precautions to protect themselves and their property. Understanding the local culture and customs is essential for a smooth transition to life in Jamaica. Expats should be prepared to adapt to the laid-back lifestyle and embrace the local way of life, which may include slower-paced service and a strong emphasis on community and family. Learning the local language, Patois, can also be helpful for communication and integration, although English is widely spoken. Expats should also be prepared for the tropical climate, which can be hot and humid, with a rainy season from May to November. Finally, it is crucial to research and understand the legal requirements for retiring in Jamaica, such as obtaining a visa or residency permit, and any tax implications that may arise. Consulting with a local attorney or immigration specialist can be helpful in navigating these processes," said one expat who made the move to Discovery Bay.
What do I need to know before moving to Discovery Bay?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Discovery Bay?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Discovery Bay?
- What is the average cost of housing in Discovery Bay?
- How do I meet people in Discovery Bay?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Discovery Bay?
- What should I pack when moving to Discovery Bay?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Discovery Bay?
- Will I be able to find a job in Discovery Bay?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Discovery Bay?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Discovery Bay?
- What is the social scene like in Discovery Bay?
- What advice to expats in Discovery Bay have about housing?
- What are medical services in Discovery Bay like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Discovery Bay?
- Is the cost of living in Discovery Bay high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Discovery Bay?
- Why do people move to Discovery Bay?