Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: People describe Riga, Latvia as a vibrant and beautiful city with a rich cultural heritage. Expats love the city's vibrant nightlife, its many parks and green spaces, its affordable cost of living, and its friendly locals. The weather in Riga is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to the mid-60s Fahrenheit in the summer and the mid-teens to the mid-30s Fahrenheit in the winter. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 per month, including rent. The cost of a one bedroom apartment in Riga is around $500 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is around $700 per month. The approximate population of Riga is 641,000.
What do I need to know about living in Riga?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Riga, they said:
"Before retiring in Riga, expats should familiarize themselves with the local language, Latvian, as it is the official language of the country. Expats should also research the cost of living in Riga, as it is generally lower than in other European cities. Additionally, expats should be aware of the local laws and regulations, as well as the healthcare system, to ensure they are compliant with all requirements. Finally, expats should research the local culture and customs to ensure they are respectful of the local people and their way of life," said one expat who made the move to Riga.
What do I need to know before moving to Riga?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Riga?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Riga?
- Will I be able to find a job in Riga?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Riga appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Riga?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Riga accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Riga like?
- How are healthcare services Riga?
- What are medical services in Riga like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Riga?
- What are emergency services like in Riga?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Riga?
- How are local medical facilities in Riga?
- As a foreigner living in Riga, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?