Leiden, The Netherlands
Last updated on Apr 21, 2023
Summary: People describe Leiden, Netherlands as a charming, historic city with a vibrant student population. Expats love the city's laid-back atmosphere, its proximity to Amsterdam, and its many cultural attractions. The weather in Leiden is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to the mid-60s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is estimated to be around $2,000 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $1,000 per month, while a two bedroom apartment can cost up to $1,500 per month. The approximate population of Leiden is 120,000.
What do I need to know about living in Leiden?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Leiden, they said:
"Before retiring in Leiden, expats should be aware of the cost of living, which is higher than the national average. They should also research the local housing market to find a suitable place to live. Additionally, expats should familiarize themselves with the local healthcare system and the availability of medical services. It is also important to understand the local culture and customs, as well as the language, to ensure a smooth transition. Finally, expats should research the local job market to find out what opportunities are available for those who wish to continue working after retirement," remarked one expat living in Leiden, The Netherlands.
"hmmm difficult. Actually nothing in tone of warning... just DO IT! It's a great place," wrote one member in Leiden.
What do I need to know before moving to Leiden?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Leiden?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Leiden?
- Will I be able to find a job in Leiden?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Leiden appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Leiden?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Leiden accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Leiden like?
- How are healthcare services in Leiden?
- What are medical services in Leiden like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Leiden?
- What are emergency services like in Leiden?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Leiden?
- How are local medical facilities in Leiden?
- As a foreigner living in Leiden, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?