Boracay Island, Philippines
Last updated on Jul 03, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Boracay Island, Philippines. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know about living in Boracay Island?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Boracay Island, they said:
"Expats considering retirement in Boracay Island, should be aware of several key factors. Firstly, the cost of living is relatively low compared to Western countries, but it can vary depending on lifestyle choices. The island is known for its beautiful beaches and vibrant nightlife, making it a popular tourist destination. However, it's important to note that healthcare facilities on the island are limited, so serious medical conditions may require travel to larger cities. English is widely spoken in Boracay, making communication easier for expats. The Philippines offers a Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV) which allows unlimited stay and multiple entries, making it an attractive option for retirees. The climate is tropical, with high temperatures and humidity year-round, and a rainy season from June to October. Housing can range from affordable apartments to luxury villas, and it's recommended to rent before buying to get a feel for different areas. Public transportation is readily available, with tricycles being the most common form of transport on the island. Lastly, it's important to understand and respect the local culture and customs, which includes a laid-back lifestyle and a strong sense of community," wrote a member in Boracay Island.
What do I need to know before moving to Boracay Island?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Boracay Island?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Boracay Island?
- What is the average cost of housing in Boracay Island?
- How do I meet people in Boracay Island?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Boracay Island?
- What should I pack when moving to Boracay Island?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Boracay Island?
- Will I be able to find a job in Boracay Island?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Boracay Island?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Boracay Island?
- What is the social scene like in Boracay Island?
- What advice to expats in Boracay Island have about housing?
- What are medical services in Boracay Island like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Boracay Island?
- Is the cost of living in Boracay Island high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Boracay Island?
- Why do people move to Boracay Island?