Cost of Living in Oban, Scotland
Last updated on Jul 10, 2023
Summary: What is the cost of living in Oban, Scotland? Hear what expats, digital nomads and retirees living in Oban have to say about the cost of housing, health insurance and general living costs.
Is the cost of living in Oban high?
We asked people how much they someone comfortably live on in Oban, they wrote:
"The cost of living in Oban, is considered moderate compared to other parts of the UK. Housing is relatively affordable, with rental prices being lower than in major cities such as Edinburgh or Glasgow. The cost of groceries and dining out is also reasonable, although it can be slightly higher than in other parts of Scotland due to the town's remote location. Utilities such as electricity, heating, and internet are on par with the national average. Transportation costs are also moderate, with affordable public transport options and petrol prices similar to the rest of the UK. However, owning a car can be more expensive due to the higher cost of insurance in this area. Overall, while Oban is not the cheapest place to live in Scotland, it offers a good balance between cost and quality of life," explained one expat living in Oban.
Will I save money living in Oban?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Oban?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Oban?
- Will I be able to find a job in Oban?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Oban appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Oban?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Oban accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Oban like?
- How are healthcare services in Oban?
- What are medical services in Oban like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Oban?
- What are emergency services like in Oban?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Oban?
- How are local medical facilities in Oban?
- As a foreigner living in Oban, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?