What do expats find most challenging?
We asked expats and digital nomads what they find the most challenging about the local culture in Colombo. They wrote...
"Expats in Colombo often find the local culture to be quite different from what they are used to. The language barrier can be a challenge, as English is not widely spoken. Additionally, the local customs and etiquette can be difficult to navigate, as they are quite different from those of other countries. The traffic and congestion in Colombo can also be overwhelming for expats, as it is much more chaotic than what they may be used to. Finally, the heat and humidity can be a challenge for expats, as it can be quite oppressive at times," commented one expat who made the move to Colombo, Sri Lanka.
AGS Worldwide Movers can move you to and from anywhere in the world. Presently the AGS Group has over 141 locations in more than 95 countries and has one of the largest networks in the international removals industry. We relocate 85,000 families every year. Free moving quote!
Get a Quote
"Everything is so slow. People are very proud and stubborn at times. They smile a lot, but the smile doesn't always feel sincere. There is a lack of problem solving orientation. Prices are quite high for some items and especially for foreigners. Old cars are being driven and they are very polluting," remarked another expat in Colombo , Sri Lanka.
- What should I pack when moving to Colombo?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Colombo?
- Will I be able to find a job in Colombo?
- What is life like in Colombo?
- What do expats in Colombo appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Colombo?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Colombo accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Colombo like?
- What are healthcare services like in Colombo?
- What are medical services in Colombo like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Colombo?
- What are emergency services like in Colombo?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Colombo?
- How are local medical facilities in Colombo?
- As a foreigner living in Colombo, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do expats find most challenging?If you live in Colombo, newcomers to Colombo would love to hear your answer to this question.