Negombo, Sri Lanka
Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Negombo, Sri Lanka is around 300,000 people. People describe Negombo as a vibrant coastal city with a rich cultural heritage. Expats love the laid-back atmosphere, the friendly locals, and the abundance of seafood. The weather in Negombo is typically hot and humid, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to the mid-90s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living in Negombo for an expat is around $1,000 to $1,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $400 to $600 per month, and a two bedroom apartment is around $500 to $800 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Negombo?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Negombo, they said:
"Negombo is a popular destination for expats looking to retire in Sri Lanka. Before making the move, it is important to understand the cost of living, the availability of healthcare, and the local culture. Negombo is a coastal city, so it is important to consider the climate and the potential for natural disasters. Additionally, expats should research the local job market and the availability of recreational activities. Finally, it is important to understand the visa requirements for living in Sri Lanka," commented one expat who made the move to Negombo.
What do I need to know before moving to Negombo?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Negombo?
- How do I find a place to live in Negombo?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Negombo?
- What is the average cost of housing in Negombo?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Negombo?
- What should I pack when moving to Negombo?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Negombo?
- What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Negombo?
- What are healthcare services like in Negombo?
- Is the cost of living in Negombo high?
- Will I save money living in Negombo?
- Why do people move to Negombo?
- How are healthcare services in Negombo?
- What are medical services in Negombo like?