An Expat Talks about Living in El Valle de Anton, Panama
What is the name of the city or town that you are reporting on?
El Valle de Anton
Describe how you "dreamed" expat life would be before you moved overseas. Please provide as much detail as possible.
I expected caring, helpful, active expats and peaceful, friendly locals. I expected an incredibly beautiful spot on earth.
How has your expat experience met the expectations you dreamed about before you moved abroad?
Yes, for the most part.
How has your expat experience NOT met the expectations you dreamed about before you moved abroad?
I guess I expected that the locals would be more environmentally minded but many Panamanians litter. That is my #1 pet peeve and the second is poor customer service.
There is no point for me to make it wrong-it's a cultural thing. We (the expats) are currently doing litter pickup in order to keep this beautiful place that way and we have plans underway to educate the populace and shift the culture, so we'll see.
I have received no outward hostility from the locals but sometimes some quiet hostility? Not that I blame them, we have invaded their country figuratively and literally. I suppose they have a love/hate thing with us. Plus many extraneros are cold, and some are outright arrogant.
I go out of my way to be friendly towards everyone and consider myself a diplomat for the extranero population.
But El Valle is still paradise for me. Please adjust your attitude before you move to Central America. In some ways it's better, some not. Please don't expect it to be the way it's not. Read up on what to expect.
- Expat Guide to El Valle de Anton
- Cost of Living in El Valle de Anton
- Health Care in El Valle de Anton
- The Insider's Guide to El Valle de Anton
- Healthcare & Health Insurance in Panama
- Best Places to Live in Panama
- Real Estate in Panama
- Best Bookstores and Libraries in Panama City
- What It's Like Living in El Valle de Anton
- Pros and Cons of Living in Panama 2024
- 2024 Guide to Moving to Panama
- More Advice about Retiring in Panama
- Members Talk about the Cost of Living in Panama