Moving to Indonesia
Last updated on Jul 08, 2023
Summary: Many expats and digital nomads move to Indonesia due to its low cost of living, beautiful beaches, and vibrant culture. People can find a place to live in Indonesia by searching online for rental properties, or by asking friends and family for recommendations. The most popular cities for expats and digital nomads in Indonesia are Jakarta, Bali, and Yogyakarta.
What do I need to know before moving to Indonesia?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Indonesia, they said:
"Actual move: 1) Know how far & how much will the company be providing. If private, then Expat Relocation Company is the best company. They also do the maintenance and the middle man between the landlord and you. Less hassle from your part. They always get their job done. The owners are expats and they make sure service is always satisfactory. Choosing a neighborhood: 1) The very first thing is to know whether the area is high enough not to get flooded. 2) Know your neighborhood. Like if it's mostly local, know the history. Finding a home: 1) Expat Relocation Company is the best deal ever. Less headache and less hassle," said one expat in Jakarta.
How do I find a place to live in Indonesia?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Indonesia?
- How do I find a place to live in Indonesia?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Indonesia?
- What is the average cost of housing in Indonesia?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Indonesia?
- What should I pack when moving to Indonesia?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Indonesia?
- Why do people move to Indonesia?
- How are healthcare services in Indonesia?
- What are medical services in Indonesia like?
- What are typical rents in Indonesia?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?