Living in Azerbaijan
Last updated on Mar 08, 2023
Summary: People describe life in Azerbaijan as a mix of modern and traditional. Expats love the country's rich culture, friendly people, and stunning landscapes. The cost of living for an expat in Azerbaijan is relatively low, with a one-bedroom apartment in the city center costing around $400 per month. The approximate population of Azerbaijan is 10 million, and the largest cities are Baku, Ganja, Sumqayit, and Mingachevir. The cons of living in Azerbaijan include the lack of job opportunities, the language barrier, and the limited public transportation. Additionally, the country is still developing and there are some areas that are not as safe as others.
What do I need to know about living in Azerbaijan?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Azerbaijan, they said:
"Before retiring in Azerbaijan, expats should familiarize themselves with the local language, Azerbaijani, as it is the official language of the country. It is also important to research the cost of living in Azerbaijan, as it can vary depending on the city and lifestyle. Additionally, expats should be aware of the local laws and regulations, as well as the visa requirements for staying in the country. It is also important to research the healthcare system in Azerbaijan, as well as the availability of medical insurance. Finally, expats should be aware of the cultural norms and customs of Azerbaijan, as well as the climate and weather conditions," wrote a member in Azerbaijan.
How do I meet people in Azerbaijan?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Azerbaijan?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Azerbaijan?
- Will I be able to find a job in Azerbaijan?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Azerbaijan appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Azerbaijan?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Azerbaijan accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Azerbaijan like?
- How are healthcare services Azerbaijan?
- What are medical services in Azerbaijan like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Azerbaijan?
- What are emergency services like in Azerbaijan?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Azerbaijan?
- How are local medical facilities in Azerbaijan?
- As a foreigner living in Azerbaijan, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?