15 Expats Talk about Health Insurance and Healthcare in Ivory Coast
Last updated on Jun 26, 2023
Summary: The quality of medical care in Ivory Coast is generally lower than in the United States. Emergency services are limited and often lack the necessary resources to provide adequate care. To call for an ambulance, one must contact the local fire department or police station.
How are healthcare services Ivory Coast?
When we asked expats and global nomads about the quality of medical care in Ivory Coast, they replied:
"Healthcare services in Ivory Coast are provided by both public and private institutions. The public healthcare system is largely funded by the government and is available to all citizens. However, the quality of public healthcare is generally considered to be low, with limited access to medical supplies and equipment. Foreign residents are able to access the public healthcare system, but they may be required to pay for some services. Expats in Ivory Coast typically use private healthcare services, as they are more reliable and offer better quality care. However, some expats may use the public healthcare system if they are unable to afford private care," said an expat in Ivory Coast.
What are medical services in Ivory Coast like?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Ivory Coast?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Ivory Coast?
- Will I be able to find a job in Ivory Coast?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Ivory Coast appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Ivory Coast?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Ivory Coast accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Ivory Coast like?
- How are healthcare services in Ivory Coast?
- What are medical services in Ivory Coast like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Ivory Coast?
- What are emergency services like in Ivory Coast?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Ivory Coast?
- How are local medical facilities in Ivory Coast?
- As a foreigner living in Ivory Coast, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?