Real Estate in Turkey
Last updated on Apr 11, 2023
Summary: An expat should search for a home to buy in Turkey by researching the local real estate market and consulting with a real estate agent who is familiar with the area. It is also important to consider the location of the property, as well as the amenities it offers. Homes in Turkey typically include amenities such as air conditioning, central heating, and a balcony or terrace. Many homes also have a garden, swimming pool, and parking space. Foreigners are allowed to purchase property in Turkey, however, there are certain restrictions. For example, foreigners are not allowed to purchase property within a military zone, and they must obtain permission from the Ministry of Defense before purchasing a property. Additionally, foreigners are not allowed to purchase more than 10 hectares of land.
How do I find a place to live in Turkey?
We asked expats how they chose their neighborhood and found a place to live. They answered:
"We were recommended to contact a local Real Estate agent, who specialize in ex-patriates and what we need," remarked one member in Istanbul.
What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Turkey?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Turkey?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Turkey?
- Will I be able to find a job in Turkey?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Turkey appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Turkey?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Turkey accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Turkey like?
- How are healthcare services in Turkey?
- What are medical services in Turkey like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Turkey?
- What are emergency services like in Turkey?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Turkey?
- How are local medical facilities in Turkey?
- As a foreigner living in Turkey, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?