Real Estate in Scotland
Last updated on Feb 23, 2023
Summary: An expat looking to buy a home in Scotland should begin by researching the local housing market and familiarizing themselves with the different types of properties available. They should also consider their budget and the type of amenities they are looking for in a home. Foreigners are allowed to buy property in Scotland, however, they may need to obtain permission from the UK government if they are not a resident of the UK or an EU citizen. Homes in Scotland typically include amenities such as central heating, double glazing, and fitted kitchens. Depending on the property, they may also include a garden, garage, or other features.
How do I find a place to live in Scotland?
We asked expats how they chose their neighborhood and found a place to live. They answered:
"One way to find a place to live in Scotland is to search online for rental listings. Websites such as Rightmove, Zoopla, and Gumtree are popular resources for finding rental properties in Scotland. Additionally, you can contact local estate agents who specialize in renting out properties in Scotland. You can also look for rental postings in local newspapers and on community notice boards. Finally, you can ask friends and family if they know of any available rental properties in Scotland," remarked one member in Scotland.
What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Scotland?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Scotland?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Scotland?
- Will I be able to find a job in Scotland?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Scotland appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Scotland?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Scotland accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Scotland like?
- How are healthcare services in Scotland?
- What are medical services in Scotland like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Scotland?
- What are emergency services like in Scotland?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Scotland?
- How are local medical facilities in Scotland?
- As a foreigner living in Scotland, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?