Real Estate in Nigeria
Last updated on Apr 07, 2023
Summary: An expat looking to buy a home in Nigeria should start by researching the local real estate market. It is important to understand the different types of properties available, the prices, and the neighborhoods. It is also important to find a reputable real estate agent who can help guide the search. Foreigners are allowed to own property in Nigeria, but there are certain restrictions. For example, foreigners are not allowed to own land in certain areas, such as near the coast or in certain rural areas. It is important to research the local laws and regulations before making a purchase. Houses in Nigeria typically include basic amenities such as running water, electricity, and sanitation. Depending on the area, some homes may also include air conditioning, swimming pools, and other luxury amenities.
How do I find a place to live in Nigeria?
We asked expats how they chose their neighborhood and found a place to live. They answered:
"One way to find a place to live in Nigeria is to search online for rental listings. Websites such as Jumia House, ToLet, and Private Property Nigeria are great resources for finding available properties in Nigeria. Additionally, you can also search for rental listings on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. Additionally, you can also ask friends and family who live in Nigeria for recommendations. Finally, you can also contact local real estate agents who can help you find a suitable place to live," explained one person living in Nigeria.
What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Nigeria?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Nigeria?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Nigeria?
- Will I be able to find a job in Nigeria?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Nigeria appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Nigeria?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Nigeria accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Nigeria like?
- How are healthcare services in Nigeria?
- What are medical services in Nigeria like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Nigeria?
- What are emergency services like in Nigeria?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Nigeria?
- How are local medical facilities in Nigeria?
- As a foreigner living in Nigeria, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?