Last updated on Jun 27, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees discuss what it is like to live in Oxford, UK: Cost of living, Finding a home, Meeting People and more.
What do I need to know about living in Oxford?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Oxford, they said:
"Before retiring in Oxford, expats should be aware that the cost of living is relatively high compared to other parts of the UK. They should also know that the healthcare system in the UK is publicly funded, and they may be eligible for free healthcare through the National Health Service. Expats should understand that the UK has a progressive tax system, and they may be required to pay UK taxes on their worldwide income. They should also be aware of the UK's pension system, which includes both state and private pensions. Oxford is known for its rich history and culture, and expats should take the time to learn about local customs and traditions. They should also familiarize themselves with the local transportation system, as Oxford is a compact city that is easy to navigate on foot or by bike. Expats should also know that the weather in Oxford can be quite variable, with mild summers and cool, wet winters. They should also be prepared for the high level of rainfall that Oxford receives throughout the year. Finally, expats should be aware that the UK has strict immigration laws, and they will need to secure the appropriate visa or residency permit before they can retire in Oxford. They should also ensure that they have adequate health insurance coverage, as medical costs can be high for those who are not eligible for free NHS care," explained one expat living in Oxford, England.
What do I need to know before moving to Oxford?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Oxford?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Oxford?
- What is the average cost of housing in Oxford?
- How do I meet people in Oxford?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Oxford?
- What should I pack when moving to Oxford?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Oxford?
- Will I be able to find a job in Oxford?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Oxford?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Oxford?
- What is the social scene like in Oxford?
- What advice to expats in Oxford have about housing?
- What are medical services in Oxford like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Oxford?
- Is the cost of living in Oxford high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Oxford?
- Why do people move to Oxford?