Sharjah, the UAE
Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: The population of Sharjah is 1.4 million people. Sharjah is a vibrant city with a rich cultural heritage, modern infrastructure, and a diverse population. Expats love living in Sharjah for its low cost of living, excellent job opportunities, and its proximity to Dubai. The weather in Sharjah is generally hot and dry, with temperatures ranging from the mid-60s to the mid-90s Fahrenheit (18-35 Celsius). The average cost of living for an expat is relatively low. A one bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $400 to $1,000 per month, while a two bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $600 to $1,500 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Sharjah?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Sharjah, they said:
"Before retiring in Sharjah, expats should be aware of the local laws and regulations. It is important to research the cost of living in the area, as well as the availability of healthcare and other services. Expats should also be aware of the cultural norms and expectations in the area, and be prepared to respect them. Additionally, expats should be aware of the climate in Sharjah, as it can be very hot and humid during the summer months. Finally, expats should be aware of the visa requirements for living in the UAE, and ensure that they have the necessary documents and permits before arriving," wrote a member in Sharjah.
What do I need to know before moving to Sharjah?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Sharjah?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Sharjah?
- What is the average cost of housing in Sharjah?
- How do I meet people in Sharjah?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Sharjah?
- What should I pack when moving to Sharjah?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Sharjah?
- Will I be able to find a job in Sharjah?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Sharjah?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Sharjah?
- What is the social scene like in Sharjah?
- What advice to expats in Sharjah have about housing?
- What are medical services in Sharjah like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Sharjah?
- Is the cost of living in Sharjah high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Sharjah?
- Why do people move to Sharjah?