Last updated on May 06, 2023
Summary: People describe Hanoi, Vietnam as a vibrant and bustling city with a unique culture and history. Expats love the city's rich culture, delicious food, and friendly people. The weather in Hanoi is generally warm and humid, with temperatures ranging from an average low of 57°F (14°C) in January to an average high of 95°F (35°C) in July. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,000-$1,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $400-$600 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is around $600-$800 per month. The approximate population of Hanoi is 7.6 million people.
What do I need to know about living in Hanoi?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Hanoi, they said:
"Before retiring in Hanoi, expats should familiarize themselves with the local culture and customs. It is also important to research the cost of living in the city, as well as the availability of healthcare and other services. Additionally, expats should consider the language barrier and whether they will need to learn Vietnamese in order to communicate effectively. Finally, expats should research the visa requirements for long-term stays in Vietnam," wrote a member in Hanoi.
"Be prepared for lots of noise and pollution. Most people find learning Vietnamese very difficult. But other than that, it is a very interesting place to live, also lots to see outside the city especially if you have a motorbike! Most Hanoians are very nice to foreigners," commented one expat who made the move to Hanoi.
What do I need to know before moving to Hanoi?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Hanoi?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Hanoi?
- Will I be able to find a job in Hanoi?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Hanoi appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Hanoi?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Hanoi accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Hanoi like?
- How are healthcare services in Hanoi?
- What are medical services in Hanoi like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Hanoi?
- What are emergency services like in Hanoi?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Hanoi?
- How are local medical facilities in Hanoi?
- As a foreigner living in Hanoi, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?