Last updated on Mar 12, 2023
Summary: People describe Brasilia, Brazil as a modern, vibrant city with a unique urban design. Expats love the city's cultural diversity, its vibrant nightlife, and its proximity to nature. The weather in Brasilia is generally warm and humid, with temperatures ranging from the mid-60s to the mid-90s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 USD per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $800 USD per month, while a two bedroom apartment is around $1,200 USD per month. The approximate population of Brasilia is 2.9 million people.
What do I need to know about living in Brasilia?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Brasilia, they said:
"Before retiring in Brasilia, expats should familiarize themselves with the local language, Portuguese, as it is the official language of the country. Additionally, expats should research the cost of living in Brasilia, as it is higher than other parts of Brazil. It is also important to understand the healthcare system in Brazil, as expats may need to purchase private health insurance. Additionally, expats should research the visa requirements for living in Brazil, as they may need to apply for a permanent residency visa. Finally, expats should research the cultural norms and customs of the region, as they may be different from their home country," said one expat in Brasilia.
What do I need to know before moving to Brasilia?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Brasilia?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Brasilia?
- Will I be able to find a job in Brasilia?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Brasilia appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Brasilia?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Brasilia accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Brasilia like?
- How are healthcare services in Brasilia?
- What are medical services in Brasilia like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Brasilia?
- What are emergency services like in Brasilia?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Brasilia?
- How are local medical facilities in Brasilia?
- As a foreigner living in Brasilia, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?