Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: People describe Nicosia, Cyprus as a vibrant city with a rich cultural heritage. Expats love the city's Mediterranean climate, its diverse population, and its vibrant nightlife. The weather in Nicosia is typically mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-50s to the mid-70s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 to $2,000 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is typically around $500 to $700 per month, while a two bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $700 to $1,000 per month. The approximate population of Nicosia is around 330,000 people.
What do I need to know about living in Nicosia?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Nicosia, they said:
"Before retiring in Nicosia, expats should be aware of the cost of living, which is generally higher than in other parts of the country. Additionally, expats should research the local healthcare system and ensure they have adequate health insurance coverage. It is also important to familiarize oneself with the local culture and customs, as well as the language, as English is not widely spoken in Nicosia. Finally, expats should research the local tax laws and regulations to ensure they are compliant with all applicable laws," said one expat in Nicosia.
"Think about why you are coming here, and if you want to do it and want to contribute to Cyprus - Welcome! There's lots of positives about the place for people who are seeking a better life than suburban England or America," said one expat who made the move to Nicosia.
What do I need to know before moving to Nicosia?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Nicosia?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Nicosia?
- What is the average cost of housing in Nicosia?
- How do I meet people in Nicosia?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Nicosia?
- What should I pack when moving to Nicosia?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Nicosia?
- Will I be able to find a job in Nicosia?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Nicosia?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Nicosia?
- What is the social scene like in Nicosia?
- What advice to expats in Nicosia have about housing?
- What are medical services in Nicosia like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Nicosia?
- Is the cost of living in Nicosia high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Nicosia?
- Why do people move to Nicosia?