Sosua, the Dominican Republic
Last updated on Jul 02, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Sosua, Dominican Rep. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know about living in Sosua?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Sosua, they said:
"Before retiring in Sosua, Dominican Republic, expats should know that the cost of living is generally lower than in many Western countries, but it can vary depending on lifestyle. They should be aware that the official language is Spanish, so learning the language or having a basic understanding can be beneficial. Expats should also know that the healthcare system in the Dominican Republic is not as advanced as in some Western countries, so it's important to have a good health insurance plan. They should be prepared for a different pace of life, as things tend to move slower in the Dominican Republic compared to more developed countries. Expats should also be aware that Sosua is a popular tourist destination, so it can get crowded during peak travel seasons. They should know that the climate is tropical, with warm temperatures year-round, but also with a hurricane season that typically runs from June to November. Expats should also understand the local customs and culture to integrate more easily into the community. They should be aware of the residency requirements and the process to obtain a visa or residency permit. Expats should also know that while Sosua has a lower crime rate than some other areas in the Dominican Republic, it's still important to take safety precautions. Lastly, they should be aware that infrastructure, such as roads and electricity, may not be as reliable as in their home country," said one expat who made the move to Sosua.
What do I need to know before moving to Sosua?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Sosua?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Sosua?
- What is the average cost of housing in Sosua?
- How do I meet people in Sosua?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Sosua?
- What should I pack when moving to Sosua?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Sosua?
- Will I be able to find a job in Sosua?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Sosua?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Sosua?
- What is the social scene like in Sosua?
- What advice to expats in Sosua have about housing?
- What are medical services in Sosua like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Sosua?
- Is the cost of living in Sosua high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Sosua?
- Why do people move to Sosua?