Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Alexandria, Egypt is 5.2 million people. People describe Alexandria as a vibrant and bustling city with a rich cultural heritage. Expats love the city's Mediterranean climate, its beautiful beaches, and its vibrant nightlife. The weather in Alexandria is generally mild and pleasant, with temperatures ranging from an average low of 55°F (13°C) in the winter to an average high of 86°F (30°C) in the summer. The average cost of living in Alexandria for an expat is around $1,000 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $400 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is around $600 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Alexandria?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Alexandria, they said:
"Before retiring in Alexandria, expats should be aware of the local culture and customs. It is important to research the cost of living in Alexandria, as well as the availability of healthcare and other services. Expats should also be aware of the security situation in the city, and take necessary precautions to ensure their safety. Additionally, expats should familiarize themselves with the local language, as English is not widely spoken in Alexandria. Finally, expats should be aware of the visa and residency requirements for living in Egypt," commented one expat who made the move to Alexandria.
"Be very prepared not let the backward ways and slowness and unorganized ways get to you. Relax and take it for what this country is great for which is cultural, beauty, great food and fun in the sun," remarked one expat living in Alexandria, Egypt.
What do I need to know before moving to Alexandria?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Alexandria?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Alexandria?
- What is the average cost of housing in Alexandria?
- How do I meet people in Alexandria?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Alexandria?
- What should I pack when moving to Alexandria?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Alexandria?
- Will I be able to find a job in Alexandria?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Alexandria?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Alexandria?
- What is the social scene like in Alexandria?
- What advice to expats in Alexandria have about housing?
- What are medical services in Alexandria like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Alexandria?
- Is the cost of living in Alexandria high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Alexandria?
- Why do people move to Alexandria?