Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Last updated on May 07, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Ocho Rios, Jamaica is approximately 25,000 people. People describe Ocho Rios as a vibrant and lively town with a laid-back atmosphere. Expats love the warm and friendly locals, the beautiful beaches, and the easy access to outdoor activities. The weather in Ocho Rios is typically warm and humid, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to the mid-80s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living in Ocho Rios for an expat is around $1,500 to $2,000 USD per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $500 to $700 USD per month, and a two bedroom apartment is around $700 to $1,000 USD per month.
What do I need to know about living in Ocho Rios?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Ocho Rios, they said:
"Before retiring in Ocho Rios, expats should be aware of the cost of living, which is higher than in many other Caribbean countries. They should also research the availability of healthcare services and the quality of the local infrastructure. Additionally, expats should familiarize themselves with the local culture and customs, as well as the climate and weather patterns. It is also important to research the local job market and the availability of recreational activities. Finally, expats should ensure that they have the necessary visas and permits to live and work in Jamaica," said one expat in Ocho Rios.
What do I need to know before moving to Ocho Rios?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Ocho Rios?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Ocho Rios?
- Will I be able to find a job in Ocho Rios?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Ocho Rios appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Ocho Rios?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Ocho Rios accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Ocho Rios like?
- How are healthcare services Ocho Rios?
- What are medical services in Ocho Rios like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Ocho Rios?
- What are emergency services like in Ocho Rios?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Ocho Rios?
- How are local medical facilities in Ocho Rios?
- As a foreigner living in Ocho Rios, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?