Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Last updated on Jul 10, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees discuss what it is like to live in Noordwijk, Netherlands: Cost of living, Finding a home, Meeting People and more.
What do I need to know before moving to Noordwijk?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Noordwijk, they said:
"Noordwijk is a town in the Dutch province of South Holland, known for its beautiful beaches and vibrant flower fields. The official language is Dutch, but English is widely spoken, making it easier for expats to communicate. The cost of living in Noordwijk is relatively high, with housing being the most significant expense. The town has a well-developed public transportation system, including buses and trains, making it easy to travel around the region. Noordwijk has a temperate maritime climate, with mild summers and cool winters. The town is home to a number of international schools, making it a suitable place for expats with children. Healthcare in the Netherlands is of a high standard, and it is mandatory for everyone to have at least basic health insurance. Noordwijk is a safe town with a low crime rate, but like anywhere, it's important to take basic precautions to protect yourself and your property. The town has a vibrant expat community, with various clubs and organizations that can help newcomers settle in. Dutch people are known for their directness, so don't be surprised if they come across as blunt. Cycling is a popular mode of transport in the Netherlands, and Noordwijk is no exception, so consider getting a bike for local travel. The town is home to the European Space Research and Technology Centre, which attracts many international professionals. Noordwijk is also known for its high-quality restaurants and cafes, offering a wide range of international cuisines. Finally, it's important to note that the Netherlands has a high tax rate, so be prepared for this when planning your finances," explained one expat living in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
How do I find a place to live in Noordwijk?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Noordwijk?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Noordwijk?
- What is the average cost of housing in Noordwijk?
- How do I meet people in Noordwijk?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Noordwijk?
- What should I pack when moving to Noordwijk?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Noordwijk?
- Will I be able to find a job in Noordwijk?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Noordwijk?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Noordwijk?
- What is the social scene like in Noordwijk?
- What advice to expats in Noordwijk have about housing?
- What are medical services in Noordwijk like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Noordwijk?
- Is the cost of living in Noordwijk high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Noordwijk?
- Why do people move to Noordwijk?