Retire in Riga, Latvia
Last updated on Jan 01, 2023
Summary: Riga, Latvia is an attractive destination for retirees due to its vibrant culture, stunning architecture, and affordable cost of living. The weather in Riga is mild, with average temperatures ranging from the mid-30s in the winter to the mid-60s in the summer (Fahrenheit). There are several retirement communities in Riga, offering a variety of amenities such as swimming pools, fitness centers, and social activities. The cost of a nice two-bedroom home in Riga is typically around $100,000 USD, while a nice three-bedroom home can cost around $150,000 USD.
What is it like to retire in Riga?
"Riga is a great place for retirees to enjoy their golden years. The city is full of cultural attractions, such as the Riga Castle, the Freedom Monument, and the National Opera House. There is also a vibrant nightlife, with plenty of bars, restaurants, and clubs to explore. For those looking for outdoor recreation, there are plenty of parks and trails to explore, as well as the nearby beaches of the Baltic Sea. There is also an active expat community in Riga, with many retirees from other countries living in the city," remarked one retiree in Riga.
What advice do overseas retirees have for others considering retiring abroad?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Riga?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Riga?
- What is the average cost of housing in Riga?
- How do I meet people in Riga?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Riga?
- What should I pack when moving to Riga?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Riga?
- Will I be able to find a job in Riga?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Riga?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Riga?
- What is the social scene like in Riga?
- What advice to expats in Riga have about housing?
- What are medical services in Riga like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Riga?
- Is the cost of living in Riga high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Riga?
- Why do people move to Riga?