Real Estate in Nairobi, Kenya
Last updated on Jan 04, 2023
Summary: The average cost of a nice 2 bedroom home in Nairobi, Kenya is around $150,000 USD. A nice 3 bedroom home in Nairobi is around $200,000 USD. These properties typically include modern amenities such as air conditioning, internet access, and security systems. There are no restrictions on foreign ownership for properties in Nairobi. An expat should search for a home to buy in Nairobi by researching the different neighborhoods and areas of the city. They should also consider their budget and the amenities they are looking for in a home. The most desirable neighborhoods in Nairobi include Westlands, Kilimani, Lavington, and Kileleshwa. These areas are known for their safety, modern amenities, and proximity to shopping, restaurants, and other attractions.
How do I find a place to live in Nairobi?
We asked expats how they chose their neighborhood and found a place to live. They answered:
"One option for finding a place to live in Nairobi is to search online for rental listings. There are many websites that offer listings of apartments, houses, and other types of rental properties in the city. Additionally, you can contact local real estate agents who specialize in the Nairobi area to help you find a suitable place to live. You can also ask friends and family who live in the city for recommendations. Finally, you can look for rental postings in local newspapers and on bulletin boards in the city," said one person in Nairobi.
What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Nairobi?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Nairobi?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Nairobi?
- What is the average cost of housing in Nairobi?
- How do I meet people in Nairobi?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Nairobi?
- What should I pack when moving to Nairobi?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Nairobi?
- Will I be able to find a job in Nairobi?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Nairobi?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Nairobi?
- What is the social scene like in Nairobi?
- What advice to expats in Nairobi have about housing?
- What are medical services in Nairobi like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Nairobi?
- Is the cost of living in Nairobi high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Nairobi?
- Why do people move to Nairobi?