15 Expats Talk about Health Insurance and Healthcare in Kenya
Last updated on Apr 11, 2023
Summary: The quality of medical care in Kenya is generally lower than in the United States. Kenya has a shortage of medical professionals and a lack of access to modern medical technology. Emergency services are limited and often slow to respond. To call for an ambulance, one must contact the local police station or the nearest hospital.
How are healthcare services Kenya?
When we asked expats and global nomads about the quality of medical care in Kenya, they replied:
"Healthcare services in Kenya are provided by both public and private institutions. The public healthcare system is funded by the government and is available to all Kenyan citizens. The quality of public healthcare varies depending on the region, but generally it is considered to be of a lower standard than private healthcare. Foreign residents in Kenya have access to the public healthcare system, but they may be required to pay a fee. Expats in Kenya typically use private healthcare services, as they are more reliable and of a higher quality. However, some expats may choose to use the public healthcare system if they are unable to afford private healthcare," wrote an expat living in Kenya.
What are medical services in Kenya like?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Kenya?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Kenya?
- Will I be able to find a job in Kenya?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Kenya appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Kenya?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Kenya accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Kenya like?
- How are healthcare services in Kenya?
- What are medical services in Kenya like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Kenya?
- What are emergency services like in Kenya?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Kenya?
- How are local medical facilities in Kenya?
- As a foreigner living in Kenya, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?