What do expats find most challenging?
We asked expats and digital nomads what they find the most challenging about the local culture in Porlamar. They wrote...
"Expats in Porlamar often find the language barrier to be the most challenging aspect of the local culture. Additionally, the lack of reliable public transportation and the high cost of living can be difficult to adjust to. Furthermore, the political and economic instability in the country can be a source of stress for expats. Finally, the cultural norms and expectations can be difficult to navigate for those who are not familiar with them," wrote a member who made the move to Porlamar, Venezuela.
Never worry about paying your medical bills out of pocket again. The innovative Get a quote from our partner, PassportCard.
PassportCard allows for a stress-free experience for all expat families, remote travelers, and workers. With a 24/7 customer service and an outstanding customer base of over 2 Million clients, it will feel like medical care at home. Get up to 10% off on your policy now. Get a quote from our partner, PassportCard.
GET A QUOTE
"There were a few...supplies at the grocery were sometimes little to none. You could go on any day and there would be no milk, no butter, certain types of meat..as well as household/kitchen items. Getting used to 'armed' guards at certain locations..like the grocery or your local panaderia. There were sometimes water shortages that were supplied into your home..and running the water through a tank/pump system was sometimes frustrating. Two of the hardest things for me were the amount of garbage that was dumped anywhere.. and seemed everywhere. And there seemed to be very little compassion for animals..particularly dogs and cats. I saw many hungry and un-cared for dogs. It was heart-breaking," explained one expat living in Porlamar, Venezuela.
- What should I pack when moving to Porlamar?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Porlamar?
- Will I be able to find a job in Porlamar?
- What is life like in Porlamar?
- What do expats in Porlamar appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Porlamar?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Porlamar accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Porlamar like?
- What are healthcare services like in Porlamar?
- What are medical services in Porlamar like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Porlamar?
- What are emergency services like in Porlamar?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Porlamar?
- How are local medical facilities in Porlamar?
- As a foreigner living in Porlamar, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do expats find most challenging?If you live in Porlamar, newcomers to Porlamar would love to hear your answer to this question.