Should I buy or rent a home in Kenya?
If you have not spent a lot of time in Kenya, you should rent before even thinking about buying. We asked expats there about the buy vs. rent decision...
"Buying a home in Kenya can be a great investment, as property values are likely to appreciate over time. However, it is important to consider the costs associated with buying a home, such as the down payment, closing costs, and ongoing maintenance. Renting a home in Kenya can be a more affordable option, as it requires less upfront costs and allows for more flexibility in terms of location and length of stay. Ultimately, the decision to buy or rent a home in Kenya should be based on your individual needs and financial situation," said another expat in Kenya.
- What should I pack when moving to Kenya?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Kenya?
- Will I be able to find a job in Kenya?
- What is life like in Kenya?
- What do expats in Kenya appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Kenya?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Kenya accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Kenya like?
- What are healthcare services like in Kenya?
- What are medical services in Kenya like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Kenya?
- What are emergency services like in Kenya?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Kenya?
- How are local medical facilities in Kenya?
- As a foreigner living in Kenya, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
Should I buy or rent a home in Kenya?If you live in Kenya, newcomers to Kenya would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.