After visiting Oaxaca in '07, I was unable to stop thinking about it, and am now planning to move there in March or April. I have business in NYC that will bring me back in '11, but I want to stay for at least a year.
I am a bellydance teacher and massage therapist and hope to find work at a yoga school on the coast (specifically, one of several in Zipolite.) I'd like to stay there for a couple of months and then move to Oaxaca City and try to find work teaching dance there.
So here are my questions:
1. Where are the best Spanish classes on the beach and in the city?
2. What should I expect to pay for a one-bedroom apartment in the city? Should I try to find one before I go or wait until I get there?
3. How difficult will it be for me to get my cat into the country and find an apartment that will allow him?
4. Where can I study Ballet Folklorico?
5. I take psychiatric medication. Will it be difficult to find an English-speaking psychiatrist to prescribe? If my meds are not available in Mexico, can a Mexican doctor still prescribe them? Can they be ordered from the US online?
If anyone can help me with these questions I would be very grateful! I would also just love to talk to other Americans in Oaxaca. Thank you so much!
One cannot simply go to Mexico and start working. Mexico protects its workforce from foreign competition and you will have to apply to the government (INM) for permission to work at a specific job and a specific location. This permission can be difficult to obtain and becomes a part of your visa. If your medications are 'controlled substances', you will need a local physician's prescription to purchase them. Your US prescription will not be honored for controlled substances. Some medications are available online from Mexican suppliers but you may not order them from abroad to be mailed into Mexico without special permits. So, your usual US online sources may not be used. Virtually everything is available in Mexico, or a good substitute, and your MD or pharmacist will be your source of information.