Moving to Uruguay
Last updated on Mar 08, 2023
Summary: Many expats and digital nomads move to Uruguay for its low cost of living, relaxed lifestyle, and friendly people. Uruguay also offers a high quality of life, with excellent healthcare and education systems. People can find a place to live in Uruguay by searching online for rental properties, or by using a real estate agent. The most popular cities for expats and digital nomads in Uruguay are Montevideo, Punta del Este, and Colonia del Sacramento. These cities offer a variety of amenities, from beaches to cultural attractions, and are popular destinations for expats and digital nomads.
What do I need to know before moving to Uruguay?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Uruguay, they said:
"Apply for residency and hire a lawyer to help you through the process. Once you have your residency - - should take about 8 months to a year, you can ship your household goods. If you are a couple, file for residency seperately. That way, you can ship a container of household goods, live for a while, find out what else you need and then send another container with the missing "stuff"," said one expat in Punta del Este.
How do I find a place to live in Uruguay?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- Uruguay Guide
- Healthcare & Health Insurance in Uruguay
- Members Talk about Healthcare & Health Insurance in Uruguay
- Best Places to Live in Uruguay
- Guide to Real Estate in Uruguay
- Pros & Cons of Living in Uruguay
- Cost of Living in Uruguay
- How to Enroll Your Children in School in Uruguay
- Educational System in Uruguay
- Retire in Montevideo Guide
- 10 Things to Know Before Moving to Uruguay
- 2024 Guide to Living in Uruguay
- Pros and Cons of Living in Uruguay 2024
- 2024 Guide to Moving to Uruguay