Moving to Belgium
Last updated on Apr 24, 2023
Summary: Expats and digital nomads move to Belgium for its high quality of life, excellent infrastructure, and convenient location in the heart of Europe. The most popular cities for expats and digital nomads in Belgium are Brussels, Antwerp, and Ghent. People looking for a place to live in Belgium can search online for rental listings, contact real estate agents, or look for housing through expat networks.
What do I need to know before moving to Belgium?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Belgium, they said:
"I wish I'd moved to Bruges years ago. It's a tiny place and all neighbourhoods seem very safe, clean and friendly. I'm not sure about the surrounding areas, but I'd definitely suggest the centre of Bruges or at least within the 8000 postcode. Also, I'd advise paying the estate agent's commission. They'll help you with translation of documents and with setting up your utility bills, etc. Well worth the fee," said one expat in Bruges.
"Take only what you need, clothes, books; buy antiques in the area -very nice and reasonable, small town Bruges-if you find a nice place in the center with a large garden and good parking available this is ideal. If you have children living outside the city is very pleasant and near the small woods/parks," remarked one expat who made the move to Bruges.
How do I find a place to live in Belgium?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Belgium?
- How do I find a place to live in Belgium?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Belgium?
- What is the average cost of housing in Belgium?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Belgium?
- What should I pack when moving to Belgium?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Belgium?
- Why do people move to Belgium?
- How are healthcare services in Belgium?
- What are medical services in Belgium like?
- What are typical rents in Belgium?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?