Last updated on Apr 21, 2023
Summary: Exeter, UK is a vibrant and picturesque city with a rich history and culture. Expats love the city's friendly atmosphere, its proximity to the sea and countryside, and its excellent transport links. The weather in Exeter is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s in the summer to the mid-40s in the winter (Fahrenheit). The average cost of living for an expat is estimated to be around $2,000 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment in Exeter is around $1,000 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is around $1,400 per month. The population of Exeter is around 130,000 people.
What do I need to know about living in Exeter?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Exeter, they said:
"Exeter is a great place to retire, with its beautiful countryside, vibrant city centre and excellent transport links. Before retiring in Exeter, expats should research the cost of living, as it is higher than the national average. It is also important to consider the availability of healthcare, as the city has a number of excellent hospitals and medical centres. Expats should also research the local area to ensure they are comfortable with the climate, culture and lifestyle. Finally, expats should consider the availability of leisure activities, as Exeter has a wide range of attractions, from museums and galleries to parks and gardens," said one expat who made the move to Exeter.
What do I need to know before moving to Exeter?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Exeter?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Exeter?
- Will I be able to find a job in Exeter?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Exeter appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Exeter?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Exeter accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Exeter like?
- How are healthcare services in Exeter?
- What are medical services in Exeter like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Exeter?
- What are emergency services like in Exeter?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Exeter?
- How are local medical facilities in Exeter?
- As a foreigner living in Exeter, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?