Last updated on Jun 05, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Winterthur, Switzerland is approximately 110,000 people. People describe Winterthur as a vibrant city with a rich cultural heritage, a great quality of life, and a strong economy. Expats love living in Winterthur for its excellent public transportation, its proximity to Zurich, and its beautiful parks and green spaces. The weather in Winterthur is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to the mid-60s Fahrenheit (0-20 Celsius). The average cost of living in Winterthur for an expat is estimated to be around $2,500 USD per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment in Winterthur is estimated to be around $1,200 USD per month, while a two bedroom apartment is estimated to be around $1,500 USD per month.
What do I need to know about living in Winterthur?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Winterthur, they said:
"Before retiring in Winterthur, expats should be aware that the cost of living is relatively high. It is important to research the local housing market and the availability of rental properties. Expats should also be aware that the Swiss healthcare system is one of the best in the world, but it is also expensive. It is important to research the different health insurance options available to expats. Additionally, expats should be aware that the Swiss language is German, so it is important to learn the language or at least some basic phrases. Finally, expats should be aware that Winterthur is a great place to retire, with plenty of outdoor activities, cultural attractions, and a vibrant nightlife," explained one expat living in Winterthur, Switzerland.
What do I need to know before moving to Winterthur?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Winterthur?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Winterthur?
- What is the average cost of housing in Winterthur?
- How do I meet people in Winterthur?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Winterthur?
- What should I pack when moving to Winterthur?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Winterthur?
- Will I be able to find a job in Winterthur?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Winterthur?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Winterthur?
- What is the social scene like in Winterthur?
- What advice to expats in Winterthur have about housing?
- What are medical services in Winterthur like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Winterthur?
- Is the cost of living in Winterthur high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Winterthur?
- Why do people move to Winterthur?