Last updated on Mar 14, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Hellerup, Denmark is 28,000. People describe Hellerup as a quiet, affluent suburb of Copenhagen. Expats love the easy access to the city center, the beautiful parks and beaches, and the friendly locals. The weather in Hellerup is generally mild with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to the mid-60s Fahrenheit (1-18 Celsius). The average cost of living in Hellerup for an expat is estimated to be around $2,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is estimated to be around $1,500 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is estimated to be around $2,000 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Hellerup?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Hellerup, they said:
"Hellerup is a small, affluent suburb of Copenhagen, Denmark, and is a popular destination for expats looking to retire. Expats should be aware that the cost of living in Hellerup is higher than in other parts of Denmark, and that the local language is Danish. It is important to research the local healthcare system and to make sure that you have the necessary documents to access it. Additionally, expats should be aware of the local tax system and the requirements for obtaining a residence permit. Finally, it is important to research the local culture and customs to ensure a smooth transition into life in Hellerup," commented one expat who made the move to Hellerup.
What do I need to know before moving to Hellerup?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Hellerup?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Hellerup?
- Will I be able to find a job in Hellerup?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Hellerup appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Hellerup?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Hellerup accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Hellerup like?
- How are healthcare services Hellerup?
- What are medical services in Hellerup like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Hellerup?
- What are emergency services like in Hellerup?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Hellerup?
- How are local medical facilities in Hellerup?
- As a foreigner living in Hellerup, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?