Las Terrenas, the Dominican Republic
Last updated on Apr 23, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Las Terrenas, Dominican Rep is around 25,000 people. People describe Las Terrenas as a beautiful beach town with a laid-back atmosphere and stunning scenery. Expats love the relaxed lifestyle, the friendly locals, the beautiful beaches, and the low cost of living. The weather in Las Terrenas is typically warm and sunny year-round, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to the mid-80s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is relatively low. A one bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $400 to $800 per month, while a two bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $500 to $1,000 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Las Terrenas?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Las Terrenas, they said:
"Before retiring in Las Terrenas, expats should be aware of the cost of living, which is generally lower than in the United States. Expats should also research the availability of healthcare services and the quality of the local infrastructure. Additionally, expats should be aware of the local culture and customs, and the language barrier that may exist. It is also important to research the local real estate market and the availability of rental properties. Finally, expats should be aware of the local climate and the potential for natural disasters," said one expat who made the move to Las Terrenas.
"It would depend on how old he is. If retired come, come, come if wanting work unless he has plenty capital to start a business, go somewhere else," explained one expat living in Las Terrenas, Dominican Rep.
What do I need to know before moving to Las Terrenas?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Las Terrenas?
- How do I find a place to live in Las Terrenas?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Las Terrenas?
- What is the average cost of housing in Las Terrenas?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Las Terrenas?
- What should I pack when moving to Las Terrenas?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Las Terrenas?
- What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Las Terrenas?
- What are healthcare services like in Las Terrenas?
- Is the cost of living in Las Terrenas high?
- Will I save money living in Las Terrenas?
- Why do people move to Las Terrenas?
- How are healthcare services in Las Terrenas?
- What are medical services in Las Terrenas like?