Last updated on Jul 11, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees discuss what it is like to live in Marseille, France: Cost of living, Finding a home, Meeting People and more.
What do I need to know about living in Marseille?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Marseille, they said:
"Expats considering retirement in Marseille, should be aware of several key factors. Firstly, it's important to understand the cost of living, which can be higher than in other parts of France, especially for housing in the city center. You should also be aware of the healthcare system in France. While it is highly regarded, you will need to ensure you have the correct insurance or funds to cover any medical costs. Language can be a barrier for some, as not everyone in Marseille speaks English. Learning French or at least basic phrases can greatly enhance your experience. Marseille has a Mediterranean climate with hot summers and mild winters, which can be a significant change if you're from a cooler climate. The city is known for its rich history, diverse culture, and delicious cuisine, particularly seafood. However, like any city, it has areas that are safer than others, so it's important to research neighborhoods thoroughly. Public transportation is widely available in Marseille, but the system can be complex to navigate initially. Finally, France has a complex tax system that can affect your pension and other income, so it's advisable to seek advice from a financial advisor familiar with both your home country's tax system and that of France," wrote a member in Marseille.
What do I need to know before moving to Marseille?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Marseille?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Marseille?
- Will I be able to find a job in Marseille?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Marseille appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Marseille?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Marseille accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Marseille like?
- How are healthcare services in Marseille?
- What are medical services in Marseille like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Marseille?
- What are emergency services like in Marseille?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Marseille?
- How are local medical facilities in Marseille?
- As a foreigner living in Marseille, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?