Last updated on Jul 11, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees discuss what it is like to live in Arcachon, France: Cost of living, Finding a home, Meeting People and more.
What do I need to know about living in Arcachon?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Arcachon, they said:
"Arcachon, is a popular retirement destination due to its mild climate, beautiful beaches, and relaxed lifestyle. Before retiring in Arcachon, expats should be aware of several important factors. Firstly, it's essential to understand the cost of living in Arcachon. While it's lower than in Paris, it's still higher than in many other parts of France. This includes the cost of housing, food, healthcare, and other daily expenses. Secondly, expats should familiarize themselves with the French healthcare system. France has one of the best healthcare systems in the world, but it's important to understand how it works and what kind of insurance you'll need. Language is another important consideration. While many people in Arcachon speak English, it's beneficial to learn some French to help with daily life and integration into the community. Understanding the local culture and customs is also crucial. The French have a particular way of life, and respecting this can help you fit in and feel more at home. Finally, it's important to consider the legal aspects of retiring in France. This includes understanding the visa requirements, tax implications, and any other legalities involved in moving to and living in France. In conclusion, retiring in Arcachon can be a wonderful experience, but it's important to do your research and understand what it entails before making the move," remarked one expat who made the move to Arcachon.
What do I need to know before moving to Arcachon?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Arcachon?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Arcachon?
- Will I be able to find a job in Arcachon?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Arcachon appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Arcachon?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Arcachon accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Arcachon like?
- How are healthcare services in Arcachon?
- What are medical services in Arcachon like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Arcachon?
- What are emergency services like in Arcachon?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Arcachon?
- How are local medical facilities in Arcachon?
- As a foreigner living in Arcachon, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?