New Delhi, India
Last updated on Mar 21, 2023
Summary: People often describe New Delhi, India as a vibrant, bustling city with a unique mix of old and new. Expats love the city's rich culture, diverse cuisine, and vibrant nightlife. The weather in New Delhi is generally hot and humid, with temperatures ranging from the mid-50s to the mid-90s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,000 to $1,500 per month, depending on lifestyle. A one bedroom apartment in New Delhi typically costs around $400 to $600 per month, while a two bedroom apartment costs around $600 to $800 per month. The approximate population of New Delhi is 18.6 million people.
What do I need to know about living in New Delhi?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to New Delhi, they said:
"Before retiring in New Delhi, expats should research the cost of living and the availability of healthcare services. It is also important to familiarize oneself with the local culture and customs, as well as the language. Additionally, expats should consider the climate and the air quality in New Delhi, as well as the safety and security of the area. Finally, expats should research the visa requirements and the process for obtaining a residence permit," remarked one expat who made the move to New Delhi.
What do I need to know before moving to New Delhi?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to New Delhi?
- Where should I setup a bank account in New Delhi?
- Will I be able to find a job in New Delhi?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in New Delhi appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in New Delhi?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in New Delhi accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in New Delhi like?
- How are healthcare services in New Delhi?
- What are medical services in New Delhi like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in New Delhi?
- What are emergency services like in New Delhi?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in New Delhi?
- How are local medical facilities in New Delhi?
- As a foreigner living in New Delhi, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?