Katwijk, The Netherlands
Last updated on Jul 10, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees discuss what it is like to live in Katwijk, Netherlands: Cost of living, Finding a home, Meeting People and more.
What do I need to know before moving to Katwijk?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Katwijk, they said:
"Katwijk is a coastal town in the western Netherlands, known for its beautiful beaches and rich history. Before moving to Katwijk, expats should be aware of several key factors. Firstly, the official language is Dutch, but English is widely spoken, especially among younger generations and in business settings. However, learning some basic Dutch phrases can be beneficial for daily life and integration into the local community. The cost of living in Katwijk is relatively high, as it is in most parts of the Netherlands. This includes rent, groceries, dining out, and general expenses. It's important to budget accordingly. The Netherlands has a high standard of healthcare, and this is true in Katwijk as well. Expats will need to register with a local doctor and dentist. It's also mandatory to have health insurance in the Netherlands. Public transportation in the Netherlands is efficient and reliable, and Katwijk is no exception. The town is well-connected by bus routes, and cycling is a popular mode of transport. Owning a car is not necessary for getting around. The Dutch are known for their directness in communication, which can sometimes be perceived as blunt. This is a cultural difference to be aware of when interacting with locals. The weather in Katwijk is typically mild, but it can be quite rainy, especially in the autumn and winter months. It's advisable to invest in good rain gear. The Netherlands has a strong emphasis on work-life balance, and this is reflected in Katwijk. Many businesses close early in the evening and on Sundays, so it's important to plan shopping and errands accordingly. Finally, Katwijk has a range of housing options, from modern apartments to traditional Dutch houses. It's recommended to use a real estate agent to find suitable accommodation, as the housing market can be competitive," wrote a member in Katwijk.
How do I find a place to live in Katwijk?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Katwijk?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Katwijk?
- What is the average cost of housing in Katwijk?
- How do I meet people in Katwijk?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Katwijk?
- What should I pack when moving to Katwijk?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Katwijk?
- Will I be able to find a job in Katwijk?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Katwijk?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Katwijk?
- What is the social scene like in Katwijk?
- What advice to expats in Katwijk have about housing?
- What are medical services in Katwijk like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Katwijk?
- Is the cost of living in Katwijk high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Katwijk?
- Why do people move to Katwijk?