Pros and Cons of Living in The Netherlands
Last updated on Mar 09, 2023
Summary: The pros of living in Netherlands include its high quality of life, excellent public transportation, and vibrant culture. The country is also known for its progressive social policies, such as its liberal stance on same-sex marriage and marijuana use. Additionally, the Netherlands is a great place to learn a new language, as English is widely spoken and Dutch is relatively easy to learn. On the other hand, the cost of living in the Netherlands is relatively high, and the weather can be unpredictable. Additionally, the country is densely populated, so it can be difficult to find a place to live.
What are the pros and cons of living in The Netherlands?
Expats, digital nomads and retirees living in The Netherlands responded:
"Expats and digital nomads often appreciate the high quality of life in The Netherlands, with its excellent public transportation, modern infrastructure, and vibrant cultural scene. They also enjoy the country's progressive attitude towards social issues, such as LGBT rights, and its commitment to environmental sustainability. On the other hand, some expats and digital nomads may find the cost of living in The Netherlands to be quite high, and the language barrier can be a challenge for those who don't speak Dutch," explained one expat living in Netherlands.
What do expats in The Netherlands appreciate most about the local culture?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to The Netherlands?
- Where should I setup a bank account in The Netherlands?
- Will I be able to find a job in The Netherlands?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in The Netherlands appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in The Netherlands?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in The Netherlands accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in The Netherlands like?
- How are healthcare services in The Netherlands?
- What are medical services in The Netherlands like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in The Netherlands?
- What are emergency services like in The Netherlands?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in The Netherlands?
- How are local medical facilities in The Netherlands?
- As a foreigner living in The Netherlands, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?